Friday, January 18, 2013

The Pilgrimage Within


I attended Dr. Bahareh Amidi's Poetry Writing and Healing Workshop entitled "The Pilgrimage Within." Like several others, my faith requested me to be there. So I went. I wasn't disappointed. The workshop made use of Poetry Therapy, an innovative way of promoting healing and growth through reading, writing and sharing of poems. We formed a healing circle, read poems, penned our own, shared them with the rest of the group and expressed our thoughts. Everyone was free to share anything and everything, as long as they're comfortable with it. There was no critique nor judgment. Acceptance, loving kindness and empathy prevailed. At the end of the 2-hour session, I realized how fortunate I was to have met such beautiful, centered and grounded souls. I look forward to joining the next session. I heard it's scheduled on February 8. They will try to make it a monthly activity.  
 
Here's one of my favorite poems in the workshop, written by Dr. Bahareh herself:
 
The Angel Who Lost His Wings
 
by: Bahareh Amidi PhD
 
Once upon a time
there was an Angel
an Angel who had
lost his wings.
He was walking through life
wondering what fault had made
his wings disappear ...
He saw the birds flying through the sky
and the bees buzzing around -
He saw a rock by the river and sat
                                               and sat
                                                    and sat
After years of sitting he decided
to walk again and look for his wings
That is when he started
to fly wingless with heart.
 
 
 

No comments: