Sunday, October 21, 2012


A week ago, I went to a Japanese restaurant for their buffet. When I entered the room, I felt pairs of eyes size me up from my top to my footwear. People from high society made sure that everyone present that night had a right to be there. Since when did money become a criterion to belong?  This form of social prejudice doesn’t end here. Parents from affluent families want their sons and daughters to be married off to people belonging to the same category/profession. I understand that every parent wants to ensure their child's bright future after marriage but I think this is going overboard. Let's be reminded that everyone has a place in society. Everyone has a role to fulfill. Everyone has a right to be there and belong. We can't all be doctors and lawyers. We will not survive. From the cleaners who make sure that our environment is garbage-free to the teachers who encourage us to grow up and think, everyone is important. I don’t mind sitting next to a street peddler in the bus. I don't mind rubbing elbows with laborers. I admire hardworking people. Let's stop being judgmental folks. In the end, our profession won't matter. Our social class won't matter. And definitely, our money won't matter.  
 
 

No comments: