Saturday, January 22, 2005

My Mom’s celebrating her 52nd birthday on the 26th. Might get too busy to make an entry for her on that day so I’m doing it tonight.

The golden owl faced the sunset in all her majesty. She knew what she wanted. She wanted to fly high while she still could. Her wings had started to fail her. She could have opted to fly low and smell the tulips below, but hectares of fields with fruit-bearing trees awaited her. She wanted to carry the fruits to her brood. She always did. She nearly fell off the tree on her first try. This did not weaken her. 10 attempts later, she was still perched on the same spot. She held back tears. Little did she know that her children had already left the nest. No longer uncertain. They knew what they wanted. They wanted to fly high. They could have opted to fly low and smell the tulips below, but hectares of fields with fruit-bearing trees awaited them. They wanted to carry the fruits to their mother. These are her favorite fruits. The fruits she did not eat in order to feed them. It’s payback time.

Mom, without you, I wouldn’t have flown high. I would have faltered. I would have been too weak to face each storm. I would have settled for mediocrity. I am this courageous dreamer because of you. You’ve been with me through this rollercoaster ride called life. I promise to take care of you till your sunset years. These years will be the best years of your life. Domo arigato gozaimasu. You’re everything to me.

No comments: