Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Rather, I have the power to wish: by Eshla


Can I help you with that?

I wish I could.
I wish I could grant you peace.
I wish I could create joy for you.
I wish I could take your worries.
I wish I could digest your fears.

For this is not merely empathy,
This is love,
This is friendship,
That too in its most crude form.

For I bear no gifts.
I don't bring presents.
I don’t have those. Nor can I afford them. Nor do I believe in such pleasantries.

Rather I have the power to wish
And the will to make it real.

So, I will wish for my friend.
I will wish for you.
For it is the only thing I can give- a hope, a dream.

Because reality says I cannot wipe out your sorrows,
I cannot lift your pains,
I cannot rectify the injustices.

I cannot.
That is your path, I’m told. That is your journey to endure.

But I will rest my hand on your back,
And I will wish,
Wish that it were not so,
Wish that my feet fit in your shoes.
Small or large,
I wish that I could drag them along a foreign path,
So that you may rest your tired soles.

For it’s only a wish that I can gift you. But that wish encapsulates every bit of my being.

I wish,
And I believe.
I believe that such kindness makes wishes bear fruit.

No comments: