Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Alice in Wonderland

I can say that I'm still child-like in some ways. It's actually a good thing. As they say, we do not stop playing because we are old; we grow old because we stop playing. It's okay to be silly, be curious, be fun. Dance like no one's watching, laugh like crazy, sing at the top of your voice, participate in your kid's pretend play, daydream, watch Disney cartoons, read Dr. Seuss and fairy tales ... Sometime in 2010, I caught Alice in Wonderland on the big screen. I loved Johnny Depp's portrayal of the Mad Hatter. Below are his memorable lines:



The Mad Hatter: There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter.
[picks up his hat]
The Mad Hatter: Which luckily I am.
***

The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad?
[Alice checks Hatter's temperature]
Alice Kingsley: I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people
are.
***
The Mad Hatter: [to Alice] You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness.
***
Stayne - Knave of Hearts: We're looking for the girl called Alice.
The Mad Hatter: Speaking of the Queen, here's a little song we used to sing in her honor:
The Mad Hatter, Dormouse, The March Hare: "Twinkle twinkle little bat, how I wonder where you're at. Up..."
Stayne - Knave of Hearts: [Wraps arm around Hatter's throat] If you're hiding her you'll lose your heads.
The Mad Hatter: *Already lost them.* All together now!
The Mad Hatter, Dormouse, The March Hare: "Up above the world you fly, like a tea tray in the sky. Twinkle twinkle..."
***
Alice Kingsley: This is impossible.
The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.

No comments: